Thursday, November 6, 2014

The Man in the High Castle FanFic

Juliana was sitting in her car, still and silent. She was unsure of her next move. After uncovering the plot that Joe was going to kill the author, Juliana took it upon herself to make sure that didn't happen. But more men would surely be on their way. They will send another one, fiercer than Joe. Juliana thought back to Joe sitting in the hotel room with his hands around his neck. It was the only way, she reasoned, what other option did I have? Juliana felt a deep shudder within her. What if she had been wrong? Did she kill an innocent man? She shook her head to free herself of the thoughts. Mr Abendson will help me, he must. But Juliana began to doubt herself. What if Abendson does not open his door to me? What shall I do if he will not listen to me? Juliana decided to consult the oracle.

She brought out the copy of the I Ching and asked her question aloud. “Should I continue on to see Mr Abendson?” The coins fell, and she knew before she read the text that the oracle was telling her to go on. It was in her favour.

Juliana reaches the threshold of the Abendson home, and with a steady hand knocked to announce her presence. Juliana adjusted her dress, combed her hand through her hair and straightened her back. Juliana imagined how it would go, he will listen to what I have to say and thank me for what I’ve done, and what he would be like, handsome most likely and he will find me attractive. The door swung open and an older man with darker skin and glasses greeted Juliana. He was not what she had expected.

“Mr Abendson?” She asked tentatively.

“Yes” he replied, “if you are selling something I’m not interested”

“Oh no, my name is Juliana, I’ve read your book. May I come in?” Juliana inched forward, looking behind Abendson into the home, it seemed to be poorly furnished, dull almost.

Abendson viewed her with careful eyes, “what is it you want?”

Juliana faltered. Suddenly her vision started to slip, everything before her eyes was changing. The dull house didn't appear to be an ordinary house anymore but a marvellous castle. Mr Abendson was younger, his skin pale. Shadows that were ever present were gone, Juliana looked around her, the street and the view, it was different.. cluttered somehow. She turned back to Abendson and just as suddenly it had come on, the change was gone. The house was still a house, and Mr Abendson, old again.

“Miss, are you ok?” Juliana wondered if she was ok. Something very unusual had happened and she needed to sit down.

“Will you please allow me to come in, I must sit down and have a drink. Its very important that I talk to you”.

Abendson obligingly let her through and lead her to a sitting area. Abendson indicated to a seat that Juliana took. She observed her surroundings.

“It is very dull you know, I thought you lived in a castle?”

Mr Abendson regarded her with curiosity, “Not me, no. A drink?”

Juliana was feeling a little better; she composed herself and asked for an old-fashioned. “The book, how did you know to write all that? Did you use the I Ching?”

Abendson had disappeared, but soon returned with a glass in his hand, water it seemed. “I’m sorry, this is all I have”

Juliana thought it odd that only water was available in the fortress. Fortress? Juliana blinked her eyes. The room had taken on a luxurious style that was fitting for a castle.

She directed her eyes onto her drink. The contents of the glass had changed from a clear liquid to a rich amber colour. She could smell bourbon. She sensed movement around her but her eyes were clouded, she could feel sweat dripping down her back. She faced Mr Abendson; he was young again, with a woman standing close. She was very pretty, a jawline so feminine she could only be Irish. “Are you Irish?” she asks aloud.

Mr Abendson became clear and old again.

“Are you doing this? Make it stop right now” she demanded.

Mr Abendson had gotten up; he was rubbing his knuckle over his lip. “No, I’m not Irish and no I’m not doing anything. You are very odd, do you know that?”

Juliana shook her head, “You must tell me about the book. I have a right to know, did you use the oracle?”

Mr Abendson said, “ I’m sorry, I don't follow. Can I help you somehow? Is there someone I can call for you? A friend?”

Juliana began to feel angry; she stood up, standing close to Abendson, but it wasn't Abendson anymore, it was Joe staring back at her. Juliana gasped in surprise and fear.

Mr Abendsons leaned forward, his lips were moving but they were not his, they were Joe’s. Mr Abendson was moving away, Joe’s face was smiling along with it. Juliana was fast, she had her hands around Joe’s throat, squeezing as hard as she could. She heard a gurgle.. no it was Mr Abendson! What am I doing! Juliana softened her grip, she felt movement and heard the sound of a body hitting the floor as everything went dark.



Commentary

My fanfic commentary is based on The man in the High Castle where Juliana Frink goes to meet Hawthorne Abendson. I chose to use this text because I felt that the character Juliana was very original, she seemed to be almost a hero and a villain, so I decided to rewrite Juliana as an unstable character, the shapeshifter from Volger’s (1998) character archetype. Juliana has come across the book, The Grasshopper Lies Heavy after meeting Joe who she has an affair with but ends up killing him after finding out he was an assassin for the Nazi’s. I decided to use this event to build Juliana’s character as someone who is unsure of what is real and what isn’t, this comes through in the novel, but I wanted to take it a step further where she starts to psychologically unravel. In my fanfic, I have had her feel a sense of guilt for killing Joe and this really triggers the psychological breakdown. She imagines that she sees Abendson as a young man and that his home has turned into a castle, this all portrays what Juliana expected see but doesn't. When Juliana discovers that Abendson is old and living in an ordinary house her mind decides to shift to what she expected to see.

Hawthorne Abendson’s character has become the threshold guardian within my fanfic. Abendson is the character that is really there to test Juliana; he needs to try to get her to understand what is real. When he firsts meet Juliana, she is starting to slip more intensely in and out of her reality, she observes Abendson as a young guy who lives in a castle, but this is her imagination. Juliana has the opportunity to try to listen to Abendson and take his advice for calling for help. Abendson also plays a part of the mentor, Abendson wants to help her, he is sympathetic and models as a parent role. The I Ching also plays a significant part, it takes on a mentor role and it drives Juliana on to see Abendson. With that guidance and push, Juliana felt positive about going to see Abendson.

For Volger’s (1998) mythic structure, I have incorporated parts of ACT I and ACT II. For ACT I, Juliana is introduced in her world, and she follows her call from the I Ching to see Abendson. At first she is unsure so she consults the I Ching, which encourages her go on. Once she meets Abendson she ‘crosses’ the threshold’ where her world and the world of her imagination collide. She see’s Abendson as Joe but she it is her imagination. From ACT II Juliana encounters tests and obstacles to her psychosis. I have portrayed this by testing Juliana when she see’s Joe. I decided to keep the ending of my fanfic a bit mysterious as to what has happened because I felt like that was how it was intended in The Man in the High Castle. I wanted the reader to keep questioning and guessing.





No comments:

Post a Comment